OCTAGON HOUSE IS OPEN DURING THE UNION STREET FESTIVAL
The historic Octagon House, a Union Street landmark, will be opening its doors to visitors during the Union Street Festival! Stop by for a visit and to shop and learn more about this magnificent Colonial Dame. They’ll be open June 3-4 from 11am to 2pm each day. The Octagon House is located at 2645 Gough Street (at Union Street).
Octagon House is one of two remaining 19th century octagonal houses in San Francisco and is currently the state headquarters of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in California. Built in 1861 by William C. McElroy, the house was originally located on the opposite side of Gough Street. It was saved from destruction by the Colonial Dames, and moved to its current site in 1952. At this time, Octagon House underwent extensive renovation under the guidance of Warren C. Perry, Dean of the School of Architecture at the University of California. A tin box “time capsule” was found inside a staircase during the renovation and is now on display in the house. Information, placed in the time by Mr. McElroy, provided previously unknown facts about the house, its owners and a rapidly growing affluent San Francisco anticipating the pending menace of the CIvil War. Octagon House was designated an Historical Landmark in 1968 by the City of San Francisco and was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1972.
View website: nscda-ca.org